Saturday 7 June 2014

Adding 'Footer' to Sketch-Up Model

Something that Kate brought following my presentation was that she was unsure that my structure would actually stand. She believed that my concrete curvature walls due to their forms, would always want to fall outwards. Therefore she said that I need to go back into my sketch-up model and add what is called a footer underneath the ground to help stabilise the force applied to my walls.

According to Tim Carter, (http://www.askthebuilder.com/foundation-footer/) he explains that "the primary purpose of the footer is to spread out the weight of the structure across a larger footprint than the foundation would if it was in direct contact with the earth."

Cross section showing a footer for each concrete wall.
Long section showing the length of each footer. Making it slightly longer than the actual wall will help to spread out the weight over a larger footprint.


No comments:

Post a Comment