Sunday 27 April 2014

Initial Idea: Over the Break

Over the break we have been asked to come "back [with] an analogue or digital thing, based on your ‘spatial generator’, which you can explain as a ‘diagram’ of the issues you see as most important for this project (in reaction to the reports we discussed), and an idea on how you are going to work on this project."

Unfortunately I have been in the Gold Coast for most of the break therefore my 'thing' is a few sketches of an initial idea of how I could design a house portraying my spatial generator term kotikoti. 

The following are annotated scans of my initial ideas:

A scan of all of my little sketches outlining different elements of my initial ideas. The two main things I have based my design on are making my house sustainable, and keeping in mind the inevitability of climate change and how it will affect the Naenae region. Because the Hutt Valley is a flood risk due to both the Hutt river and Wellington Harbour, water has played a big part in some of my ideas.
This is a plan sketch of how my house may look like. I have taken my spatial generator term Kotikoti and implemented it by cutting my house into sections all connected through a series of glass hallways. The main section of the house will consist of an open planned kitchen, dining room and living room that can be closed off through detachable sliding doors. The dining room will have a large bifold doors that will open up into a small patio area that is sheltered from the elements.

The two side wings of the house will be similar in which one side will consist of two bedrooms and a public bathroom. Whereas the other wing will have the master bedroom, an ensuite and a walk in wardrobe.

The top coned shape will be a two storey, 360 degree conservatory / sun room so one can sit back and enjoy the surroundings around them. From this room there will be an exit onto the tops of the glass hallways where they will have vegetable gardens or personal grooming gardens. These will be sheltered from the wind from the high pitched roofs on the wings. These gardens, as you can see from the scan below, will have hand rails running the edges of them in order to stop occupants falling off.

Lastly in the centre of the house there will be a water catchment which will act as an interior water feature as well. There will be a slight slope in order for the water to run into the tube in the centre, down through the interior of the house, before being distributed to parts of the house in the pipes underground.
This is a sketch to portray what the top of the glass hallways may look like with a garden and handrails. 
This sketch is showing how the roof pitch will work on each of the wings of the house. The gutters will also gather rain water and will be distributed throughout the house. 
This is a sketch showing the possible exterior for each of my house wings. It would consist of large double-glazed windows for warmth, native timber for exterior weatherboards, generic roof tiles and solar panels.

Lastly, due to the fact that the Hutt Valley is a flood zone, I will be raising the house on its foundations. In this space that is created, a bore water catchment system would be installed to gather excess ground water and distribute it to outdoor garden taps etc. for water plants for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment