Wednesday 30 April 2014

Precedent 1: Medieval Castles

The feedback that I received from Kate regarding my ideas and drawings post-break she felt that I was taking a post apocalyptic approach to this project. How climate change is going to affect the area of Naenae as my previous post explains.

Playing off the idea as a post apocalyptic house and how it will stand the test of time, the first thing that pops into my head as being a place of security are medieval stone castles and how they were supposedly impervious. Therefore I have begun to look at different medieval castles and their respective structures to help give me some possible ideas.


Castle Neuschwanstein at Schwangau, Germany.
Burg Steen, Belgium.
Bran Castle (also known as Dracula's Castle), Romania. 
Kalmar Castle, Sweden
Chillon Castle, Switzerland.
Kreuzenstein Castle, Austria
Palace of Pena, Portugal
Castel Nuovo at Naples, Italy 
Caernarfon Castle, North Wales
Location:
It is clear that each of these castles even though they are from different countries and from different times, the location of which each castle is built is similar. In order to help make it easier to defend the castle if needed be, these castles have all either been built on a hill or on / or next to water. 
Building my house would not be practical to build on water or create a moat around because the only intruder I am designing to with stand is climate change. And unfortunately due to the terrain of Fisk Street, Naenae, I do not have the option of building my house on a hill. 

Materiality:
Each of these castles look to have been built from similar materials. If I was to gave a gander, I would presume it would be made out of stone or rock. 

"Rock structures have existed for as long as history can recall. It is the longest lasting building material available, and is usually readily available. There are many types of rock throughout the world, all with differing attributes that make them better or worse for particular uses. Rock is a very dense material so it gives a lot of protection too; its main drawback as a material is its weight and awkwardness. Its energy density is also considered a big drawback, as stone is hard to keep warm without using large amounts of heating resources." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_material#Stone_or_rock

This could be an option for my house due to its protection and its ability to stand the test of time. However I must keep in mind the amount of energy needed to heat the building if I were to use stone or rock. Adding to this, I will also need to think about the possible tenants of the property and whether or not they would be able to afford it?

No comments:

Post a Comment