Thursday 1 May 2014

Precedent 2: The Shell House

The Shell House (2008) by ARTechnic Architects.

Location : Karuizawa, Nagano
Use : Private residence
Structure : Reinforced concrete
Site area : 1711m2
Total floor area : 329 m2

http://www.artechnic.jp/residential/album/shell-2008?p=1&s=UA-28988045-1

Following on from my research into castles in my previous precedent post, I'm interested in using concrete as my roof material in order to feel as though it encloses and/or encapsulates the house within creating a sense of security. 

Adding to this I want to experiment with curved concrete architecture in order to achieve this. 
  • Firstly due to the fact that my spatial generator term is Kotikoti I am designing my house with an aspect that is cut or sliced. I want to achieve this through my roof structure.
  • Secondly, for the aesthetic appeal. I feel that using White Portland cement or something imilar and then curving the roof will be eye-catching and very beautiful.
  • Thirdly, to break the norm of conventional square box shaped residential houses.
I love this house as I feel that combines beauty and practicality as one. It uses a combination of both natural and artificial light within the dwelling in order to create the sense of warmth and security which is something that I will be striving for. 



From this photograph one can see the different roof levels. It is as if the roof has been cut in half (kotikoti) and they slide over one another to create a beautiful sight. This is also the division between the one storey and two storey section of the house. 





This is an idea that I will be using in my design. Creating skylights in my concrete roof in order to allow natural light into the dwelling and thus not be restrained to using mostly artificial light.

No comments:

Post a Comment