Saturday 3 May 2014

Precedent 4: Church of 2000

Church of 2000 “Dives in Misericordia” (2003) by Richard Meier & Partners Architects LLP

Location: Rome, Italy
Use: Jubilee Church
Structure: Prefabricated Concrete Panels
Constructed Area: 830 m2
Parish Area: 1671m2

I really love this design. It incorporates pretty much the exact form that I have in my head for my personal design for my dwelling. The church has three curved concrete walls resembling that of a ships sails, it symbolises "the ship in which the people of God sails."

My design will not be of religious meaning, instead to create a sense of security and protection - with climate change in mind.

I really like the openness that the glass paned roof and walls create. It allows a lot of natural light in when the sun is opposite the curved concrete walls. I am still thinking about the materiality of the other elements within my personal designs but I feel that glass would work very well. I feel that if one did not use a glass roof as well, the interior would become very dark as there would not be a lot of ability for natural light to enter the dwelling without cutting a lot of skylights into the concrete. Therefore the need for artificial light would be a lot more and in turn the energy consumption would be a lot higher increasing the cost of power even if energy efficient bulbs are in use. 

In short, I will be most likely be using something along the idea of double-glazing for the other main material in my design. 







No comments:

Post a Comment