Wednesday 21 May 2014

Precedent 6: Reichstag Dome

Original Reichstag Building (1894) by Paul Wallot

Renovated 1961-64 after being severely damaged by fire. 
Renovator architect Norman Foster. He is who designed the dome.

I really love this precedent. The dome that Foster has designed is so elegant and sophisticated that the contrast with the historicalness of the Reichstag building makes this building so beautiful. The 360 degree view of the surrounding Berlin cityscape makes this a spectacle to be in. A large sun shield tracks the movement of the sun electronically and blocks direct sunlight. This is a very important element of the design as the people within the dome need protection from the direct sunlight, as I will be using a dome for my design, I will need to think about how I will protect the harsh sunlight for my occupants therefore I will look into this idea. 

Due to the fact that my dome will not be hemi-spherical like the Reichstag Dome, I will need to consider the bracing for which my glass sits in. That is another reason why I really liked this precedent, the glass panes are braced upon each other in sort of layers to create this interesting spectacle. This is a technique I will consider in my design as opposed to simply tiling.










No comments:

Post a Comment