Thursday 22 May 2014

Soap Skin Bubble Plugin

Now that I have decided that I will be progressing with a dome as my roof - and thus the source of optimising the natural light within my dwelling, I have to work out how to model it. I have searched the Internet to find possible ideas of how I could until I came across this sketch-up plugin called Soap, Skin, Bubble. This allows me to create essentially a bubble out of any shape I would like, assuming I get the pressure right. 

Below is the process in which one makes a 'bubble' using this plugin:

Credit to Josef Leibinger for supplying the plugin.

The first step is to create the shape you destine to create the bubble out of. For all intended purposes, I have used a circle for this demonstration..
The next step is to 'skin' the shape. The more divisions one chooses, the more little boxes will appear and it will shape the bubble differently and more cleaner to that of a lower division. In this example I have chosen a 30 division.. Then hit return twice..
Once the shape is divided, it is the step to create the bubble. By playing with pressure both positive and negative, one can make the bubble expand on the z-axis either towards the screen, or away. At this step, it is key to increase the pressure in small increments otherwise the bubble might lose its structure and collapse and then goes 'mental' for a lack of a better word.. In this example, I have used a pressure of 100..
I have added added my pressure, now its up to the user, I have removed the original skinned circle base in which the bubble was formed from in order to see into the formed bubble from underneath.
What the bubble looks like side on.
I have now used the paint bucket tool in order to paint the bubble inside and out with the translucent grey glass material at a 30% opacity. This could now be used as a glass dome for example, due to the fact that the form of my house is not circular, I will not be able to use this example..
Perspective of final, translucent bubble ready to be used in whatever way is needed. The best thing about this plugin is that, (of my knowledge) if the pressure and skin are used well, you can make a 'bubble' out of any shape that one chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment