Saturday 22 March 2014

Bifold Door Research

A topic that came up during interim concept design presentation was the fact that we are able to change the structure of the room that we are working in. Before this point I was unaware of this and thought I could only use the windows as is and would have to lay the room out accordingly. 

Since finding out that I can change the structure, this has opened a lot of doors into what I could do with my design and especially the view that my sun room what hypothetically possess. I have done some thinking and then some research into different styles of glass doors that would open to create a good indoor / outdoor flow adding to the view and interaction with nature that I am striving to portray with my design. 

I have decided to start looking at progressing with changing the large exterior from a window at 2400 x 1610 mm and rest of the 1070 mm wall into a large bifold door stretching the whole length of the wall. Below are a couple of images I have found on the internet that are pretty much exactly what I am aiming to use within my design from now on:

This is an image showing how the doors would fold up after fully opened. It does not take up much space and creates a very open, expansive, free flowing space which one would be able to interact with the garden more accessibly not only from a better view, but also physically interact with the garden. 
This is an image simply showing what the bifold doors whilst folding would look like from the interior of the room. I have chosen both of these images because they both use a timber frame which I would be using in my design as well. I feel that this is a stylish, practical way of portraying my clients needs and wants and overall ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment